Genealogy Pages

Laura Louisa Bond

Female 1909 - 1985  (75 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Laura Louisa Bond  [1
    Born 27 Nov 1909  Haviland, Kiowa, Kansas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Gender Female 
    Died 3 May 1985  Bay Minette, Baldwin, Alabama, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Buried 8 May 1985  Hawthorne Memorial Gardens, Grants Pass, Josephine Co., Oregon Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I042  Shepler Genealogy
    Last Modified 18 Feb 2017 

    Father Mahlon Daniel Bond,   b. 29 Dec 1861, Carmel, Hamilton Co., Indiana Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Sep 1939, Wichita, Sedgewick, Kansas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Ora Annette Johnson,   b. 8 Aug 1868, Pleasant Plain, Jefferson, Iowa, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 29 Apr 1938, Wichita, Sedgewick, Kansas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Married 4 Apr 1889  Fairview, Major Co., Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Family ID F19  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Eston Harold Shipler,   b. 28 Jan 1911, Raymond, Rice County, Kansas, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 7 Jun 1979, Grants Pass, Josephine, Oregon Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 68 years) 
    Married 26 Nov 1930  Cherokee, Alfalfa Co., Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. D.B. Shipler
     2. V.L. Shipler
     3. E.D. Shipler
     4. M.D. Shipler
    Last Modified 18 Feb 2017 
    Family ID F17  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 27 Nov 1909 - Haviland, Kiowa, Kansas, USA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 3 May 1985 - Bay Minette, Baldwin, Alabama, USA Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Notes 
    • Obituary: Written by her son Michael D. Shipler
      Mrs. Louisa Bond Shipler of Grants Pass, Oregon, passed away in her sleep at the home of her youngest son, Michael D. Shipler, 602 Hutchison Ave., Bay Minette, Alabama, Friday, May 3, 1985. She began a visit to her son, E. Darrel Shipler in Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 28 and arrived in Alabama May 1st.
      She was a member of the Faith Baptist Church in Grants Pass and had been raised in childhood in the Quaker and Christian Science faiths.
      She was born Laura Louisa Bond, in the home of her parents, Mahlon D. and Ora A. Bond, near Haviland, Kansas, November 27, 1909. She was the youngest of eight children born to this union. She graduated from high school in Haviland, and went on to graduate from Emporia College, Emporia, Kansas.
      While teaching in Kansas, she met and married her beloved 'Ship', Eston H. Shipler in Cherokee, Oklahoma, November 26, 1930. Four children were raised in their love, Dillard Bond Shipler, of Aiken, South Carolina; Virginia Shipler Hapeman, of Idyllwild, California; Eston Darrel Shipler, of Indianapolis, Indiana; and Michael Don Shipler, of Bay Minette, Alabama. Her beloved husband preceded her to God's hands June 7, 1979.
      She leaves two brothers, Barclay M. Bond, of Wichita, Kansas; Eddy L. Bond, of Wichita, Kansas; one sister, Lillian L. Gause, of Modesto, California; her four children; eight grandchildren; six great grandchildren.
      Funeral services are to be held at Slawson's Chapel of the Valley in Grants Pass, Wednesday, May 8, at 10 AM> She will be laid to rest beside her husband in Hawthorne Memorial Gardens. Visitation will be Tuesday evening and prior to the services. A Memorial Fund has been established at Faith Baptist Church, 3405 Williams Hwy., Grants Pass, Oregon.

      Medical data (written by Michael Shipler within 48 hours of her passing):
      5/2/1985 she appeared and stated that she was in good health. Approximate time of passing 10 AM May 3, 1985. Long history of high blood pressure. Had flu virus approx 1 1/2 weeks prior for less than 2 days. Had minor fall on wrist and side approx 30 days prior to passing - taken by Darrel to med center, had x-rays and full physical - no broken bones, only minor bruises, blood pressure OK, in good health, some fluid in lungs resulting from reaction to blood pressure medication within the last couple of months, all doctors aware and situation under control.
      Passed in her sleep with no apparent trauma, did not loose consciousness and no indication of pain.
      Went to bed approx midnight, was heard lightly snoring around 1 AM, her room door was closed when she went to bed, but was ajar around 7AM, indicating that she had been up to visit the bathroom during the night, which was her usual routine. She was discovered by Pam Shipler approx noon, May 3, 1985. A Paramedic crew was called within 20 minutes. The coroner was Hughy Mack of Balwin County, Alabama, #205-947-7781. Death certificate lists 'natural causes', no autopsy was called for, either by the coroner or the surviving children.

      A narrative by Michael Shipler, July 18, 2000:
      My mother, Laura Louisa Bond, changed her name at the time of her marriage to Louisa Bond Shipler and went by 'Lou'. She was raised Quaker and Christian Scientist, with conversion to Baptist in the mid 1950's. As a graduate of Emporia College, Emporia, Kansas, Louisa (pronounced Lou-eye-za) as she was known by her family, she became a school teacher. In those days a teacher had to be single. During the first year of her marriage to Eston, they were secretly married, each living with their parents so that she could keep teaching. After that, Dad, being of the 'old school' took over as the 'bread winner' and Mom did not work again until about 1946, when she worked for about a year as a waitress at the Cozy Corner Cafe in Grants Pass, Oregon. Not one of my father's big thrills. We moved to Klamath Falls, Oregon, about 1947, and again she did not work at the request of Dad. However, about the time I started school in 1949, Dad had a kidney stone attack and was in the hospital and Mom took advantage of the situation and went to work for a local drug store, much to Dad's chagrin. Things were not good around the Shipler household for some time, in fact they were never the same again, as Mom continued working for drug stores until her retirement at age 62. Dad never really got over her pressing her authority. Mom was a very smart and progressive lady!
      Over the years she stayed in touch with her family and as the youngest child, was very close to her mother. Her father, according to her, was an alcoholic and frequently left home for extended periods. She spoke very little about him. During high school, she was captain of the women's basketball team and very athletic. Mom worked in a tea room during college to help support herself.
      Mom had few faults, she did not smoke or drink and in many ways was naive about those who did. She could however, hold a grudge nearly forever. She was very close to her sister, Lillian ('Dot'), and there were many years strung together, that they did not communicate except through the Bond Family Circle letter, when one or the other would get upset about something. After the divorce of her son Darrel and his first wife, relations with her two grandchildren ceased. She never saw them again. Basically, however, she was a very loving and physically touching person. I never remember a time that when she was standing near me, that she wouldn't be rubbing on my back. In later years, when I was the only one at home, we would talk a lot and about anything. We were very close, as I was with my father, even when they were having marital feuds. Thanks to my mother, I was raised to be independent and think for myself. Dad certainly had his input, but during my informative years, he was on the road during the week and Mom kept the family going, just like her mother did. I believe Mom was always proud of that.
      It was love at first sight when she met Dad. And although she refused to subjugate herself to him, she supported and loved him in every way she could.
      Leaving Kansas and her family must have been tough for her, when Dad packed up the family and headed to California to work in the aircraft industry with Aunt Dot's husband, Uncle Fat. At least having her favorite sister nearby must have helped.
      I always found it interesting, that as a Christian Scientist, Mom worked as a buyer in drug stores. She was really good at it too, winning all kind of awards for selling vitamins, when she wouldn't take one herself. All the family took them, but not her. To get her to see a doctor was nearly impossible. After she developed high blood pressure, her feelings about doctors and medications seemed to change. Come to think of it, that was about the time she became a Baptist.
      She was a very quiet person, but enjoyed people. Our house was always filled with friends. My high school friends always stopped by to see my folks, even after I left home. Mom helped a lot of my friends through one crises or another, she was easy to talk to and stayed current with the world. Her one 'vice' was movie magazines. We always had piles of them around the house and she devoured them from cover to cover.
      As a housekeeper, she was not queen. Dad did most of the caring of things domestic, although she was an excellent cook. But, then again, so was Dad. She had a 'Kleenex' with her at all times and left them laying around everywhere, even amongst her movie magazines.
      One time Dad had moved to Idaho to help promote a new company and she would not move with him. However, after her retirement, she finally did and she told me it was the happiest year of her life.
      After Dad's passing, Mom had quite a time coming to grips with it. It took her several years before she really began living again. She joined Tops, the weight watching group, and made a lot of new friends, joined a new church and even made a trip to Hawaii. She visited us in Alabama several time and her trips were always enjoyable. During one of her visits, she told me of a paranormal experience she had a while after Dad's death. She said that she woke up in the middle of the night and saw Dad standing at the foot of the bed. She said that he told her to 'Let me go' was after that that she got on with her life. She was a 'home body' and Dad loved the open road and things new. However, after Dad's passing, she seemed to embrace Dad's life style, visiting our scattered family when ever she could, meeting new friends and working in her church. Her trip to Hawaii was a pleasant surprise to all of us. In fact it was during one of her trips to Alabama after visiting the family and was planning on attending her 50th High School reunion in Kansas, that she passed away...quietly, during her sleep with the sweetest smile on her face, like she was again joining up with Dad. It was one of the most traumatic events of my life, but eventually gave way to all the really warm and wonderful memories and feelings of my time with her. She is constantly missed in my life.

  • Sources 
    1. [S3813] Delayed birth certificate from Kansas.

    2. [S3668] Birth certificate.

    3. [S3805] Death Certificate.

    4. [S3944] Marriage licence.